Your Opinion Please: What Are The Top 10 Most Important Lessons for New Graduates to Know for Success in the Workplace?
In my teaching at the University of Michigan I prepare graduates to succeed when they enter the workforce.
Here are my top 10:
- Be ready to do whatever is asked of you, without questioning the decisions of your boss.
- Be respectful of your coworkers.
- Get to know your co-workers and be willing to do things to help them.
- Do your homework to understand the history and values of your new organization.
- When an opportunity presents itself, recognize it and be willing to take responsibility for a new initiative.
- Dress well. Dress as well as the best dressed people in the organization. Refrain from dressing down.
- Stay off your cell phone and social media when at work.
- Find at least one mentor to help you learn the ropes.
- Its fine to go out socially with your friends at work, but don’t drink so much that your decision-making ability is impaired.
- Don’t be seduced to follow those employees with the loudest mouth or those with an excessive amount of confidence.
I would be interested in your opinion about the key behavioral traits required for success as recent hires enter the workplace. Please feel free to add or edit. I will send out the new list in a few weeks.