Dear Male Friends:
It’s time we start to speak up about things that we can do, as men, to help our female friends and family members cope with the threat of sexual harassment and abuse, which is all too prevalent in our society. I’ll start with a few ideas, and hopefully, you can add to the thread. I have 10 ideas listed here. I’d like to grow the list to 50. (Of course, I invite suggestions from women friends, as well.)
- Have the courage to speak up to men who you see treating women inappropriately.
- Speak up when you hear comments or jokes derogatory to women.
- Boycott your favorite sports teams and TV network when they tolerate inappropriate behavior toward women by their players, coaches, commentators, etc.
- If you, yourself, have acted inappropriately towards a woman, apologize. Do the apology in a way which will not re-injure or traumatize the woman.
- Let’s start talking to other men about what it means to control our male libidos.
- Make the spaces you manage safe for women.
- Mentor and coach boys and young men about healthy attitudes toward women.
- Ask women you know well what they suggest you can do to help.
- Respond favorably to the women who are posting on social media.
- Compose your own posts on social media.
OK, men, please send me your comments and ideas!
Women friends, please also feel free to participate by making suggestions about what you would like to see men do.
Rob’s new book, JOURNAL for Self-Aware: A Guide for Success
in Work and Life. Link here.