Guest Column by Steve Angerman
Steve Angerman, one of the founders of Running Fit, has been participating in my Leader’s Connect groups for several years. In December, he introduced a very interesting exercise which I would like to pass on to my readers. He showed us all how to conceive of and select a “word for the year”, which will serve to motivate and encourage us during good times and bad. The following is Steve’s description of how he developed this exercise and how you can implement it in your own life.
- Through times of quiet thought, meditation or prayer reflect on what your word should be.
- Try on your word over coffee in the morning or in the still of the night? Does it work for you?
- Think about what is important in your life, your whole life. Think about your roles and the person you want to be and what is important to you. Ask yourself why this important.
- Choosing a word can be a point of conversation with a significant individual in your life, a group, or it can be a totally internal process.
- It’s your choice. It’s your word. Pick it carefully and use it well.
- What is your word for 2018?
- With whom do you want to share this word?
- Why is it important you?