We will return to our discussion on Career Evaluating next week, but while in Thailand I have had an experience which translates well to being a leader.
Today I had the privilege to ride an elephant up and down a mountain in Thailand in a rain storm. Before climbing on the elephant named Marie, we were taught these crucial lessons:
- If we expect to turn our lives over to the care of elephants, we must take exceptional care of them.
- First be kind to them, learn their names, and don’t walk behind them.
- Be sure they are healthy physically and mentally
- Feed them well, especially when getting to know them.
- Keep them clean and well groomed.
- Give them plenty of praise and affection
- Never punish them
I tried these and am here to report these lessons worked well. I was close to the edge, survived and had a ball. I hope they are helpful to you. What leadership lessons have you learned from your adventures?