From my 1994 book “What Everyman Needs to Know,” here are 10 tips for being a great father:
1. Arrange to take your child to work for a day.
2. Learn to cook one great dish for every meal.
3. Ask your father about his experiences growing up in the neighborhood.
4. If it’s broken, work on healing your relationship with your father.
5. If you abandon a child find humor her and start the relationship today.
6. Interview your children about what it is been like to have you as a father.
7. Display of a memento from your father or grandfather.
8. Put at least as much energy into your parenting as you do into your career.
9. For one week do not tell your children what to do.
10. If you like the results of doing it for one week, keep doing it