Manage Your Energy and Body
“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but building the new.” ~Socrates
This week we resume with completing your “Pasick Personal Leadership Development Plan” The plan is based on my coaching model, which I have developed over the last 20 years. It’s also the basis for my course at the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. It utilizes my books: Self Aware: A Guide to Success in Work and Life, and the Journal for Self Aware.
Step Four: Manage Your Energy and Body
My mother-in-law, Jean Carino, at age 96 continues to be strong in mind, body, and spirit. The key to her being able to sustain health and vitality at her age is that she pays attention to all three of these areas. Her interests include reading, games such as Mah-jongg, golf, and exercising daily (like Ruth Bader Ginsberg). She is an active member of her church. Inspired by her, I have developed these four tips on how to stay strong in mind, body, and spirit throughout your life.
Four Tips on how to Stay Strong in Mind, Body, and Spirit
1. Take an honest inventory
2. Make regular habits and rituals to stay fit
3. Be mindful in all that you do
4. Practice love.
First, on a regular basis, take an honest inventory and give yourself a grade on how well you are doing in taking care of yourself on:
- Mind (0-10 scale, 10 excellent)
- Body (0-10 scale, 10 excellent)
- Spirit (0-10 scale, 10 excellent)
Second, create regular habits or rituals to be sure to do something daily to stay fit in all three areas. Some examples are:
- Journal–writing and/or drawing
- Meditate, pray
- Spend time outdoors, enjoy nature
- Engage in a creative activity
- Participate in sports
- Play, including games with friends and family
- Engage in stimulating conversations
- Read meaningful literature
Third, be mindful in all that you do.
- Do one thing at a time
- Be aware of the impact you have on others
- Do good for others without seeking benefit for yourself
Fourth, practice love.
- Look for specific ways to love yourself
- Love your family and friends, this may take some creativity when they are far away from you.
- Love the world you live in and protect the earth
Complete the energy and body section of the “Pasick Personal Leadership Development Plan” We have designed a few workshops to help you dig deeper into your personal development plan and develop goals: