In over 45 years as a practicing psychologist, social entrepreneur, and professor, I have learned that emotional intelligence is the key to success in work and in life. I also know that becoming more self-aware is the key to developing strong emotional intelligence.
I have taught, coached, and counseled people on how to become more self-aware and how to develop their social-emotional competencies. Both activities lead to higher emotional intelligence.
This book presents the best practices developed and delivered in my teaching and in my psychology practice. Some of the stories and exercises in this book came from my previous book Balanced Leadership in Unbalanced Times(2009). I published some of the stories and exercises as articles on my blog at RobPasick.com. Please visit as I will continue to write there.
I wrote this book because not everyone who needs this information is here at the University of Michigan to take my class. While it’s nice to have a teacher and coach to help you through the process, you can learn a lot by yourself through reading this book and working on its exercises.
If you follow the process, you’ll end up with a self-made vision for success in both work and life. Furthermore, you will learn to set goals and develop the support that will enable you to make your dreams come true.
How to Use this Book
This book reflects the process I use in my coaching and teaching. You will be asked to read, reflect, answer questions, and engage actively in a series of exercises. Some exercises will require the participation of significant people in your life.
You will be guided through exercises designed to:
- Help you find your career sweet spot.
- Establish a vivid vision of your dream success in career and life.
- Establish goals in the key spheres of your life: family, friends, mind, body, spirit, career, and community.
- Determine how the right balance in these spheres will lead to choices that maximize your chances to be happy and successfully choose the right mate.
- Better understand others.
- Better manage your relationship with yourself.
- Better manage your relationship with others.