I’m in the process of writing a 13-week journal/diary for my class in the fall for seniors at The Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. Its focus is on self development and interpersonal relationships. Forty-five students will use the journal during the 13-week course in conjunction with my book, Self-Aware: A Guide for Success in Work and Life.
My plan is to include one suggestion per day to help the students develop a better sense of self. I will also suggest other prompts including abundances of the day, objectives for the day, lessons learned, and progress toward major goals.
I am writing to you today to ask you to share some one-line suggestions for increasing one’s self-awareness. In total, I will be looking for 91 suggestions to coincide with the 91 days of class. Here are a few examples:
1. Write a brief advice letter to your younger self
2. First thing in the morning think of what would make today a great day
3. Learn a brief poem by heart
4. Create a worry journal where you write down all of your worries for one day
5. Create a gratitude journal where you write down daily what you appreciate
6. Ask someone who knows you well for feedback and how you were performing in your job
7. Reach out to an old friend you haven’t talked to in a long time and reminisce
8. Take the Gallup Strengths Finder Survey
9. Track your time and energy for one day
10. Ask a relative to tell you the store of their career development
Please provide your own suggestions. I will be happy to provide a copy of the journal to everyone who participates. Thank you in advance.