Dr. Rob’s most recent book, Self-Aware: A Guide for Success in Work and Life, contains summaries of research and stories from clients, students, and Rob’s own life.
Self-Aware is available as an ebook and as a softcover book from Amazon.
Buy the book or download its first chapter for free from Amazon!Get Self-Aware
Some chapter sections and assignments link out to online resources such as assessments, articles, and videos. We have made sure that these links work at the time of publication, but the links may stop working at any time due to changes on third-party sites. We will keep an up-to-date resource list here.
CHAPTER ONE – From Self-Awareness to Emotional Intelligence
- Watch my video on emotional intelligence. youtu.be/4Qfx_aFLfhw
- Take the online assessment “Do You Lead with Emotional Intelligence” from the Harvard Business Review.
CHAPTER TWO – Self-Discovery Step One: Discover Your Strengths
- Reflected Best Self exercise.
- StrengthsFinder 2.0 test.
- Presentation by University of Michigan Ross Business School Professors Bob Quinn and Gretchen Spreitzer at a Leaders Connect Breakfast meeting.
CHAPTER THREE – Self-Discovery Step Two: Uncover Your Interests and Passions
CHAPTER FOUR – Self-Discovery Step Three: Understand Your Personality
CHAPTER FIVE – Self-Discovery Step Four: Manage your Energy and Your Body
- Online energy profile from the Human Performance Institute. This a self-assessment measures your physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual energy to improve your performance.
CHAPTER SIX – Self-Discovery Step Five: Care for Your Mind
- Here is an excellent article from The Atlantic describing online approaches to help people manage their anxiety and depression.
- Insight Timer meditation app (iPhone and Android).
CHAPTER SEVEN – Self-Discovery Step Six: Invest in Your Relationships
- TED talk on the Harvard Study of Adult Development.
- As an example of networking, check out Part 1 of this video from a Leaders Connect event.
- StoryCorps’ mission is to “preserve and share humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world.” Listen at StoryCorps.org
- Stories for Hope’s mission is to “heal through the Rwandan tradition of intergenerational storytelling.” Pat Pasick, Ph.D., was honored as a 2014 Purpose Prize Fellow for this project. Listen on StoriesforHope.org.
CHAPTER EIGHT – Self-Discovery Step Seven: Define Your Mission and Core Values
- Vincent Smith’s project TeamGardens.org.
Chapters NINE through TWELVE
These chapters contain exercises and do not link out to other resources or websites.
CHAPTER THIRTEEN – Create Your Personal Development Plan and Graduate
Many assignments throughout the chapters will go into your Personal Development Plan. It will give you a working document for continued goal-setting and reflection. You may download your Personal Development plan template as a Google doc. You will need to copy the document so that you can edit and customize your plan.
Please join our Facebook page and participate along with other readers.Get Self-Aware